Scenes from hell:
- It was as hot today in San Francisco as it’s ever been, at least since they started keeping records in 1871. That’s a milestone I could have missed, thanks.
- Today’s high was 103. The normal high for today is 71.
- The power went out just as I was typing this entry before. I imagine it’s because I turned on the TV, giving the whole west coast power grid that last push it needed before collapsing.
- I was scared to turn on the microwave earlier for the same reason, but I did it anyway when I considered the implications of turning on the stove.
- It 11:30 at night, it’s almost 90 in my living room and I’m sweating as I type. And I don’t type very fast either.
- Any of the seven San Franciscans with air conditioning could easily have his way with me tonight.
- I skipped dinner with Dan and Jamie tonight rather than risk being on a crowded bus or (God forbid) walking to the Mission.
- Instead, my neighbor and I hung out at the deli case at Safeway. It was nice.
- It’s ironic that my trip to LA next week may actually expose me to better weather than we’re having here.
On that LA subject, thanks for all the tips, dinner invites, etc. Next week’s trip will actually be a bit of a quickie, so I’m not sure how much time I’ll have. The “official” Planet SOMA LA Road Trip will be later this summer. I may even make it to San Diego, although I must admit I’d be doing so only to visit a few friends there and not because of any particular affection for the place.
More to come. I’m going to bed now. I harbor no illusions that I’ll actually sleep…