Vague nostalgia this afternoon. After reading the nice things Becky said about me on her new site, I started thinking back to who inspired me as I was getting started with Planet SOMA back in the dark ages of the mid 1990s.
Unfortunately, a lot of the sites I was looking at back in 1995 and 1996 no longer exist, with the notable exception of Justin’s Links from the Underground, which could easily be called the grandfather of the personal web site. I guess it’s been a primary inspiration over the years, even though I rarely stop by anymore.
The personal sites I look at regularly these days would include these:
- Jonno (since 1996)
- Mark (since 1996)
- Sarah (since 1997)
- Trey (since 1999)
- Sparky and Ultrasparky (since this year)
- Leather Egg (since this year)
- Becky (since Monday or so)
I don’t get around much these days. Life is about spending less time in front of the computer, not more time…
Neither do I spend as much time on email. I was moving all my archived mail from ZIP disks to my hard drive today and I looked at some of the older stuff. I realized that:
- I used to engage in serious ongoing correspondence (daily even) with people I’d never met. I don’t do nearly as much of this now.
- I used to have email relationships with a few people which were considerably more flirtatious than I remember.
- There are a lot fewer people using AOL than there used to be. Or at least a lot fewer of them are contacting me.
I’ve reached the bottom of the page and I’m hungry, so I’ll stop short of tying this all together into ny sort of coherent thought or theme.