Random thoughts on that most annoying of all holidays:
- Other than the years when I was long-term coupled, I can only remember one time in my life when I was actively dating someone on Valentine’s Day. I was 20 years old at the time, and didn’t much care for it. I don’t even remember how he and I celebrated the big day.
- I have a friend with whom I spend a lot of time. We’re often told we seem like an old married couple. When I think about it, I realize that (1) we frequently eat at the cafeteria, (2) she criticizes my driving all the time, and (3) we never have sex. So yeah, we pretty much are just like an old married couple.
- As Valentine’s Day civil disobedience options go, this one was a pretty cool (if soggy) one to be part of.
- The suckiest thing about middle age is that no one gets crushes on you anymore. I don’t care about the romance particularly, but the ego boost was always nice. Not that it happened all that often even before I hit middle age…
- At least I’m not having a Valentine’s Day colonoscopy this year.
- Screw the candy. Give me pie. And apple fritters.