I figured it was about time for a new look, and one that is a much better responsive template than the one it replaced. I don’t do design for a living anymore (though it remains a big aspect of what I do for a living) but I still have some strong opinions:
- Whether I like it or not, most people access the web using handheld devices now. If your site doesn’t work well in that environment, you are not serving your users well.
- I very much believe that the mobile and desktop experiences should be as similar as possible (i.e. no separate templates for each).
- Otherstream is now something of a time capsule rather than a regular part of my daily life, but if I’m going to keep in online in whatever form, I’m also going to keep it accessible to anyone who is using a reasonably current and common browser/platform.
- As a librarian, I am inclined to standardize data and content as much as possible so that it is portable and easily migratable.
- I am not however, going to obsess over every page. Let me know if you run into problems.
If you’re still reading, thanks. I’m gonna go watch a “Perry Mason” now…