Rosanna Arquette (who is five years older than me) and Herbert Hoover (who is dead) have both passed another birthday.
I’m celebrating the event in Boston, just as I did thirty-three years ago, when Rosanna Arquette was also five years older than me and Herbert Hoover was also dead. I bought books, I ate unhealthy food, and I finally saw Salem, Lowell, and Lawrence. And I had lasagna under the Leaning Tower of Pizza.
And I’m not going to share any great new wisdom. But here’s a picture of the tower:
And here’s where I didn’t eat lunch because they were closed:
That’s all I got…
…and it came out today, and you can buy it. Options include:
Or just have your local bookseller order if for you.
There will be a test.
…but the clock is ticking.
It was fifteen months ago today that I started working from home “for a few weeks” due to the pandemic. I’ve been shooting a selfie every three months since. This may be the last one, as I’m already back in the office about twenty-five hours a week and will probably be doing more in the next month or two.
It’s been a weird year (and a quarter).
Today marks one year of remote work for me. I’ve been taking a selfie from this same basic angle every three months since the first day and this is Number 5 (or Volume 2 Number 1, if you prefer).
- Work-wise, it’s been a really productive period. I rebuilt our digital collections platform from the ground up (link upon request), contributed to several articles, wrote an ill-fated grant application (long story over which I had no control), and co-authored a book that should be published this fall.
- I have traveled a bit (not nearly as much as usual) because I avoid human contact on the road even when there’s not a pandemic, so I felt like I was being cautious.
- I’ve had the first shot. The second comes a week from today. I may start going into the office at least a couple of days a week after that.
- Lots of Groceteria research, some of which has actually made it on to the site.
- I’ve read so many books. And bought even more with all the money I’ve saved not doing other things.
- I haven’t gained nearly as much weight as I expected, but the painful aftermath of a long walk last week reminded me that a little exercise is probably in order.
- I also still haven’t gotten someone to fix the damned bathroom floor.
Time marches on. Or at least I think it does.