New Tokyo Police Club. They’ll be here in April, thus permitting me to see them for the second time and to provide a friend with a good birthday present. Plus, as an (honorary?) child of the 1990s, how can I not love an EP entitled Melon Collie and the Infinite Radness?
Scary: When someone at work asks you who the lead singer of Dead or Alive was and assumes you will know the answer.
Scarier: When they are correct in that assumption.
It’s kind of hard to curate posts that are less than a year old, but I tried. This is the final year to be covered in my “twenty years” retrospective. I may talk about the actual anniversary tomorrow and try to draw some broad conclusions. Or I may not. You’ll have to check back by to see which it is.
- Everybody says it so they had to name it twice (several posts follow)
- Gym without class
- NYC pictures
- Still crazy after all these years
- Back to the streets of San Francisco (several posts follow, although I never quite finished the story)
- Not perfect. Just forgiven.
- Another restaurant, another fifteen years…
- Fuck feelings
- Order amid the chaos
- Canada 2015 photos (the commentary never came, alas)
Only two more years to cover before Wednesday’s big anniversary.
In 2010, I got my first tenure-track position (which is working out quite nicely, thanks), my ex and I recommenced living together full-time after five years of the bicoastal thing (that didn’t end well at all), and I didn’t write much of any consequence. Highlights follow on the march to the big anniversary on 13 January.
- I have this vague memory… (“vague” being the keyword here as I was alluding to things I preferred not to discuss at the time)
There was better reading in 2008 than in 2007, maybe because I was tying (at least for a little while) to generate content for four different websites, all of which eventually landed here. I’d call this year “reflective” and “hectic” with grad school and all. I also worked a very odd part-time job, continued with my freelancing, and migrated the site from static HTML to WordPress. I’d sort of forgotten what a busy year it was.
- The geekiest pornography store ever (all this SF nostalgia was part of a short-lived rebirth of Planet SOMA)
- Making preserves out of history
- Sunset people
- The atheist homosexuals who stole Christmas
- Advice column (sad foreshadowing)
- Why I generally don’t vote Republican in the South
- Charleston and Pittsburgh (several posts follow)
Past the halfway point now, and only eight days until the anniversary. Highlights and favorites from 2007 (the year I started grad school and actually started working toward having a real career) follow. I have to admit very little of it is especially entertaining or inspiring.
Ten years ago I was celebrating ten years of the site. 2006 also brought homeownership, a slight case of cancer, and more travel. Highlights and favorite posts below.
- That word
- Triangle weekend (the “something that was bothering me” was the early-stage cancer I’d just been diagnosed with)
Sorry for that delay. I didn’t create enough of these before I left on vacation, thinking I’d catch up on the road, but the “cut and paste” nature of these particular posts made that a major pain on the iPad. Twelve days till the anniversary.
So 2001 was the year in which I lost one of my oldest friends, had major health issues, and met the love of my life, among other things. And a surprisingly latge number of things still managed to annoy me. A pretty intense year, all in all.
- I never killed my classmates
- A thankless job
- Stupid Netscape
- The bi-coastal road trip of 2001 begins (several posts follow)
The big twentieth anniversary is 13 January 2016. Today, it’s all about 1999, when I lost a roommate, pissed off a lot of people talking about gentrification, and started obsessively documenting old supermarkets. I think this was my favorite year of the website (so more links than the other “retrospectives” today) though in retrospect it comes across as a trifle whiny at times.
- Independence Day: Note that this post was the birthplace of Groceteria.com.
- Mid-life Crisis
- I Just Don’t Understand
- Naked Gay Sex Gallery Pictures
- Off to North Carolina (several posts follow)
- The Ghost Mall: The most popular post on the site, oddly enough.
- Log cabin Idiots
- Pop Rocks