- Having a Target gift card and a $5.00 off grand opening coupon on the day that the first Animaniacs DVD is released.
- Finding out that the expensive bathroom repair you were dreading is actually a really easy and cheap fix.
- Hearing “Ah Leah” by Donnie Iris on the surprisingly inoffensive local radio station that you find yourself listening to in the car lately.
- Seeing a classic movie in a 1927 movie palace, even if you are sitting next to a stupid, drunk middle-aged couple who are louder and ruder than most teenagers.
- Having one of those breakthrough moments when you realize that all this PHP stuff is actually starting to make sense.
On the other hand, ambivalence is realizing that, after years of consciously avoiding it, I’m about to become a member of the ranks of Americans with cell phones. It seems a necessary evil, now that I’m in a place where I spend so much more time in my car than on foot. Not, mind you, that I’ll be conversing while driving. Heck, I rarely even converse on my land line; I can’t imagine that a cell phone will suddenly alter my distaste for telephone conversations in general. No, I just like the idea of being able to call AAA when needed.
Don’t worry, though. I still don’t do instant messaging. And while the new house does have a doorbell, you can’t hear it from the den.